Saturday, August 28, 2010

Roamin' Catholic priests

Here is a really powerful funeral homily delivered by Fr. Bill Casey, who made the wonderful speech on superficial preaching I posted about back in March:



In case you didn't get all the scriptural references: The "sheep and goats" passage comes from Matthew 25:31-46. Saint Paul's dictum, "... [I]f I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing," comes from his sermon to the Corinthians on love, at 1 Corinthians 13:2. Saint James' statement, "... [F]aith without works is dead," is at James 2:26. The quote, "Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith," is at James 2:18.

Another passage that speaks to this point is at Matthew 7:21-23: "Not every one who says to me, 'Lord, Lord," shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers" [italics mine, of course].

*     *     *

On a somewhat related note, this exchange took place during a discussion on Father Z's blog concerning priests who "shambulate", i.e. walk around the church during the homily in a mostly-pathetic attempt to reproduce the style of our Evangelical brothers and sisters:

Andrew: “Very common in my town and sometimes they walk up to the pews and ask questions. Something like: ‘Where is Jesus? Can anyone tell where Jesus is?’ (Right here Father, he’s sitting next to me, just got here from Mexico yesterday, his name is Jesus Gonzales.)”


Me: "Yeah, I’d also be sorely tempted to give my inner smartass the reins: 'Have you looked behind the couch?' Or 'He just left Chicago, and he’s headed for New Orleans.'"
 
I thought of another one: "Aw, did you lose him again? Dammit, this is the last time I let you take him to the park!"