Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Don't let the door hit you on the way out ....


Father Michael Pfleger, the controversial pastor of St. Sabina Parish in Chicago, has said that he would rather leave the Church than accept a position as a high school principal.
“I want to try to stay in the Catholic Church,” he said. “If they say, ‘You either take this principalship of [Leo High School] or pastorship there or leave,’ then I’ll have to look outside the Church.” [In case you weren't aware, this is supposed to be a threat.]
“I believe my calling is to be a pastor,” he added. “I believe my calling is to be a voice for justice. I believe my calling is to preach the Gospel. In or out of the Church, I’m going to continue to do that.” [To "continue" it, Father, you must first start to do it.]
Father Pfleger, who has been a thorn in the Chicago archdiocesan paw for some time, also told told radio show hosts Tavis Smiley and Cornel West that he believes pressure to remove him comes from members of the National Rifle Association: “The NRA … says I’ve been much too vocal about assault weapons and much too vocal about guns being registered and being accountable to gun owners. ... So all that combined and I guess [Cdl. Francis George] didn’t have anything to do one morning and decided he wanted to get rid of me again."

Hmm. "If you won't play the game my way, I'll just have to pick up my marbles and go play someplace else." Ask Tertullian and Martin Luther how well that worked.