Friday, May 6, 2011

A shameless plug ...


... for my Café Press giftshop, Outside the Asylum:

Now, see? Isn't this a cool mug? And doesn't this just about say it all. (Well, I could have said, "The Anglicans have tackier liturgical garments.") 

I thought about using the old joke: "Q: What's the difference between a liturgist and a terrorist? A: You can negotiate with a terrorist!" However, that's been overdone ... and Fr. Z already has "Brick By Brick" and "Say the Black Do the Red".

Actually, though, I've been working on another slogan.

Chesterton once wrote, "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting: it has been found difficult, and left untried." People want Heaven their way, the way of least discomfort and maximal self-indulgence. Strictly speaking, Catholicism doesn't require asceticism; it simply requires avoidance of sin. However, there are sins people don't want to avoid; if they can't be baptized into virtues, at least they can be written off as "no harm, no foul", right?

"If any one would follow me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it" (Mt 16:24-25 RSV).

And thus, the design at right. The caption reads: "Step up. Man up. Cowboy up [that's a big one here in Texas]. Put on your big-boy britches and deal with it." And then, "TAKE UP YOUR CROSS!" (If I could put a logo on back, I'd also put on Colossians 1:24: "Now I rejoice in my sufferings ..., and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the Church ....")

Why go through all this megillah? Because while I appreciate any support you can give this blog (and this blogger), I'd rather you got something tangible for your money. And frankly, right now I'm not wild about posting advertising at all, let alone advertising I can't control, which is all Google gives me right now. (Besides, I don't think I can fit much more on the sidebar!)

So feel free to visit the shop. If you have any suggestions for designs, I'll gladly take them under consideration. Again, thanks for your support!

Your help is greatly appreciated!



2 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I think you are on to something! How creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It doesn't cost anything to set up the initial shop. And if you have Photoshop or any other design software, you can upload .gifs, .jpegs and .pngs with your designs on them.

    ReplyDelete