Friday, June 17, 2011

What I know about Ayn Rand ...

... I could exaggerate and finish the phrase with, "... could be written on the inside of a matchbook with a grease pencil." And it is true, I do know very little about her and her writings.

Here's what I do know, however: Rand's Objectivism advocated an "enlightened self-interest" (contradiction in terms, that) which takes cognizance of other people only so far as they assist or thwart the self in achieving one's personal satisfaction. An elucidated, formalized sociopathy, if I may be so blunt. Because of this, she regarded with horror and disgust Christians and Christianity, with its ethic built around agape and self-sacrifice. Her key phrase, "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine,"  stands in direct opposition to Christ's command to love one another (Jn 13:34), and his teaching that there is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends (Jn 13:15).

Knowing this is enough to conclude that Randism and Christianity are incompatible: "No man can serve two masters" (Mt 6:24; cf. Lk 16:13). Any questions?

See Frank Weathers at Why I Am Catholic about RandBusters!™