Friday, July 15, 2011

Seven Quick Takes Friday! (Vol. 7)

ONE:
I'm now on Twitter! You can follow me: @AnthonySLayne. Also, dlvr.it is sending feed from both blogs to the Outside the Asylum Facebook page. And I'm currently working on a deal where, when you close your eyes at night, I appear on the inside of your eyelids. (Sorry, recycled Bob Hope joke.)

TWO:
Two of my sister's boys, Colin and Aidan Toth, are in town, spending a week with us while Peggy and her DH Michael (one of the most stand-up guys I've ever met ... a great person to have as a BIL) take a cruise courtesy of Michael's employers. This gives me the perfect excuse to see HP&DH2 in the theater. Not that I'm concerned about being a grown adult seeing Harry Potter movies on my own ... I just can't justify the expense of going to a movie by myself. The boys seem cool with the idea, although Aidan has this bit of frustration with the movies: apparently, they take too long to cut to the action at Hogwarts. (How do I tell him that all but the last few chapters of DH take place everywhere BUT Hogwarts?)


THREE:
In preparation for the boys' advent, I cleaned and dusted my office and bedroom, which I normally keep in states of Dickensian clutter ... books on every flat surface, some opened face-down with cracked spines, some closed and dog-eared, all showing the signs of one who actually reads the books he owns (several times). Much to my surprise and embarassment, I found I already own a copy of Pope Benedict's The Spirit of the Liturgy! So now I'm reading it in what spare time I have. I love reading Papa Ratzinger's work; it's a perfect blend of rational theological scholar and mystic poet you find few other places.

FOUR
Speaking of organization, I still need to take a crack at the shelf in my office where all my reference books reside. In 2002, when I first started researching for the only book I actually finished writing (and then lost in a hard drive crash ... back up your work, Layne), I started buying books by other Catholic writers. Nine years later, I haven't taken full inventory yet, but it should comprise something like forty-five to fifty different soft-back books representing over $600, from Hilaire Belloc to Pope Benedict, from G. K. Chesterton to Karl Keating, including writings by St. Thomas More and Thomas Merton (Seven-Storey Mountain, not one of his later Eastern strayings). All piled up on one shelf in the office closet ....

FIVE:
Great Value has a chocolate raspberry creamer that is just AWESOME! Of course, it would be great if I had some Mystic Monk to put it in ... though I'm almost morally certain Father Z would consider it a venial sin to spoil MM Coffee like that ....
SIX:
I request your prayers for my uncle, Joe Cronin, who had a fall July 3rd and broke his arm. Because of a condition with his carotid artery, the doctors aren't going to pin the fragments together; they'd rather hold off surgery unless it's absolutely, life-saving necessary. So it's going to be a long, slow heal for a man who's had a hard-luck life, a man I love and respect tremendously.
SEVEN:
Had a great exchange with Devin Rose and Brandon Vogt on Facebook on the inerrancy of Wikipedia, especially on the ongoing battles with "sola Wiki" and how it contrasts with "solo Wiki" (which admits that other Internet sources have their use, although they're not as authoritative). Between manning the pro-life barricades with Stacy Trasancos, tweeting with Lisa Graas and (of course) exchanging posts with my friends the Bright Maidens, I'm meeting so many people I admire as Catholic writers ... and finding out they're pretty fun people as well!

Wherever the Catholic sun does shine,
There's laughter and music and good red wine.
At least I've found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!
Hilaire Belloc

And that wraps it up for this week! Next week, I promise to have the installment out on time. Have a great weekend, and God bless!