Saturday, September 3, 2011

Back to the Catholic Bloggers idea ...

Back in April, based on some preliminary work that Richard Collins of Linen on the Hedgerow was doing, I floated the idea of an informal Guild of Catholic Bloggers for our side of the pond, and even got so far as a preliminary set of organizing principles.

Then life got away from me. As I've said before, I'm not a natural organizer or project starter.

On Monday, Richard announced the first meeting of the Guild of Blessed Titus Brandsma, an event that promises to be fun and faith-filled, including High Mass and a talk by His Hermeneuticalness (as Father Z is pleased to call him). On reading that, I felt a little guilty for abandoning my newborn idea ... but went about my week anyway.

I don't own the copyright.
Then came another prompt, in the form of an announcement of a meeting of the Catholic Writers Guild from The Blogger Who Must Not Be Named. (Okay, you'd have to read the comments on this post — and possibly this follow-up post — to get that joke.) "Guild," I said to myself ... and the word guild went wandering off in my mind in search of something to connect with.

Today, just out of curiosity, I decided to check out the membership requirements of CWG. It's $24 per year; they cater mostly to professional authors, though bloggers are welcome; membership includes access to a review board whose approval acts as a kind of non-canonical nihil obstat and imprimatur ... approved books can add the CWG seal for the comfort of harried and concerned Catholic booksellers.

All well and good; I'm considering joining myself. But the meeting, a five-day retreat, sounds a lot more formal than I was thinking about (more along the lines of "a Mass and a blognic"). CWG is a professional organization; my idea is more of a social guild. No review boards, no political tests, no particular required stance on Mass in Latin or Michael Voris or the USCCB or the Gather Hymnal or dresses-versus-pants. Just a chance to get together with the people behind the blog posts, to chat, swap stories, exchange tips, maybe bowl (or golf or play darts), and worship together in our mutual faith.

So once again I ask: Who's still interested? Who didn't know about this before but is interested now?