Monday, October 31, 2011

We're cooking again ...

This isn't turning into a recipe blog, I swear!

However, because of my mother's arthritis in her hand, I am cooking more. I've also started baking, especially cookies (which isn't easy on the diet), since blogging and shooting out résumés doesn't take up my whole day. The next time we go shopping, I'm picking up some yeast for some homemade bread ....

But man does not live on bread alone. So tonight it's a pork roast with a honey-ginger marinade: For a 2 lb. roast, combine 1/4 c. honey, 1/4 c. soy sauce, 2 tbsps. brown sugar, 1 tbsp. ginger, 1 tbsp. ketchup, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper; stir well. Marinate the roast in the refrigerator at least one hour; for best results marinate overnight.

Here's a tip: For roasts, pull the meat out of the oven when the thermometer reads about 3-5º below desired doneness and let it rest without cutting for approximately 5-10 minutes. First, this allows the interior heat to finish cooking the meat to the right temperature so it's not overdone. Second, this allows the meat to reabsorb the juices for the best texture and flavor.

Now, it's too bad I don't have any red potatoes ....