Friday, February 24, 2012

Seven Quick Takes Friday! (Vol. 15)

ONE:
On the one hand, I appreciate the opportunity to work and make money again.  On the other, I miss having all day available to write.
TWO:
Jehovah's Witnesses to the left of me!  Jehovah's Witnesses to the right of me!  It's chaos!  How did they all end up working for the same *@#&$ company!?

THREE:
This company is expanding so rapidly that they're still installing security and offices with windows in the building they just leased before I interviewed.  Right now my job consists of re-reading the training materials while waiting for my computer to arrive so I can actually earn my paycheck.
Angel Coulby and Adetomiwa Edun from Merlin
FOUR:
Okay, I understand that English television is the epitome of British secular rationality.  This explains why Angel Coulby and Adetomiwa Edun were cast in a television show set in England  sometime between the fifth and eleventh centuries, when you were as likely to see a person of African descent as you were to see an armadillo walking across the Roman road.

 FIVE:
Ate lunch at Razoo's today ... fortunately, there are plenty of places near my office I can have fish or seafood for lunch on Fridays.  The hurricane shrimp lunch special was reasonably priced, and was exquisitely spicy.  Nevertheless, I can't shake the feeling that Razoo's is bidding to become a Cajun Outback Steakhouse.  Meaning that you pay a little extra for decor and atmosphere that tries a little too hard to convince you it authentically represents the culture.
SIX:
I've been trying to do some writing at a library about a mile and a half from my office.  On Wednesday, I finished my Ash Wednesday post for The Other Blog at 11:45 am, and drove like a madman through North Dallas traffic, making one wrong turn, to get to the only church within reasonable distance — Prince of Peace Catholic Community [say what?] in Plano.  Got there at the stroke of noon ... and there wasn't a place to park within half a mile of the joint.  While the Catholic blogger and apologist part of me was pleased to see such a turnout, the rest of me swore furiously — I blew through a friggin' red arrow to get there, dammit!  Ah, well ... it wasn't a holy day of obligation, at least.

SEVEN:
Belated recognition to my friend Lisa Graas, for whom Ash Wednesday marked the twenty-first year since she was received into Mother Church!
*     *     *

Have a great weekend!