Friday, November 30, 2012

Attempting the impossible

Watch the following video.  If you don't at least get a little misty at about 3:54, check your pulse, then go to the vitamin store for some empathy supplements.



Now, my resident cynic wants to convince me that, in putting together the clip (and the forthcoming documentary), Diamond Dallas Page, the former professional wrestler turned yoga instructor, was drumming up a little business for himself.  If that's the case, though, it's brilliant marketing, because DDP actually shows up only once in the clip; director Steve Yu doesn't allow him to take over Arthur Boorman's story.

Frankly, this video doesn't so much inspire me as make me feel ashamed, like a whining, feckless crybaby.  While I don't have much sympathy for people who whine and kvetch all day about their personal problems without doing anything to correct them, when it comes to my weight and the health problems it's created for me, I can kvetch with the worst of them.  And I'm not suffering any mobility problems, either.

"The Lord helps those who help themselves," we say to each other.  And regardless of how or what you think about God, He certainly requires some effort from us on our own behalf.  "With God all things are possible" (Mt 19:26); for man, maybe not so much ... but you don't know how much you really can do until you attempt the impossible.