Monday, August 26, 2013

Irish whiskey steak!

One of the benefits of living just north of the 33rd parallel is year-round grilling. Theoretically you can grill year-round just about anywhere in the lower 48; in practice further north than here, especially in the Midwest and the Rocky Mountain states, Labor Day tends to see the end of the grilling season ... except for tailgate parties.

I love to grill. I'm actually a pretty good cook, though I don't think Bobby Flay is gonna challenge me to a throw-down anytime soon. (I'm still waiting on the Iron Chef battle between him and the Swedish Chef.) And I kinda-sorta follow Fr. Leo Patalinghug; I hope someday we can swap recipes for chicken adobo. So there's your Catholic connection — I do believe in the power of home cooking to bring families and friends together, to reinforce "the domestic church".

Um ... where was I? Oh yeah! Grilling! 

Because I grill pretty often, I use a lot of different marinades. In a couple of restaurants, I've come across variants of steaks marinated in a Jack Daniel's base. I've got no problems with bourbon or Tennessee sippin' whiskey, but it's not my first drink of choice. And Scotch is a horrible, blasphemous corruption. They tell me, "It's an acquired taste," which is shorthand for "It's nasty, but you get used to it." You can get used to hanging by your thumbs, too ... but why would you want to?

So, Irish whiskey it is.


Irish Whiskey Marinade

Combine in a bowl or measuring cup:
  • ¼ c. Jameson® Irish whiskey
  • ¼ c. Kikkoman® soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp. Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • ¼ c. brown sugar, solid-packed
  •  ¼ c. chopped green onion (opt.)
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • herbs of choice
  • ½ tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked
  • ¼ tsp. sea salt
Mix thoroughly. Place 1 lb. steak in a Ziploc® bag or marinating dish; cover with marinade and set in refrigerator for 6 ‒ 24 hours, flipping meat over regularly for even absorption. Grill over low to medium-low heat to desired doneness.