Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Snippets — A Catholic Carnival (Vol. 14.10)

Once again, it's time for "Sunday Snippets — A Catholic Carnival", hosted as ever by RAnn at This, That and the Other Thing. Go to her page, and follow the links to some interesting reading by Catholic writers just waiting to be discovered.

This week brought me a status change that will free me up for writing for a while. As a result, I was a little more productive this week than I've been for some time.

Monday was particularly productive. First, a post I'd written over the weekend, "What are you prepared to suffer?", posted bright and early as I intended. This was a post arguing that Christians who advocate a right to discriminate on religious grounds must be prepared not only to suffer economic consequences but also to be discriminated against on religious grounds as the cost of exercising our conscience rights. Just as that story published, I ran across an article in the Toronto Sun's web page about a lesbian who had been denied a male haircut by a Moslem barber. That was too good to pass up, so it became the springboard for "The reductio of moral relativism", which argues that relativism would be self-defeating if the people who claim to believe it actually tried to apply it consistently.


Then the Fisher More College story broke. I spent the rest of the day chasing down information and talking with fellow bloggers on Facebook (fortunately, Pat Archbold didn't "unfriend" me even after we butted heads a bit). Then I wrote down all I'd learned and my conclusions in a massive post, "Much ado about something at Fisher More College" (which was updated twice after its initial publication). By Wednesday, it was apparent to me and quite a few others that extreme traditionalists weren't going to give up on the contention that the Latin Mass was being attacked; fed up with the snoot, the self-pity and the snark, I threw a "spittle-flecked nutty", as Fr. John Zuhlsdorf is wont to call such temper tantrums, complaining once again about the "Catholic circular firing squad".

Thursday I spent mostly updating my résumé, getting my accounts at various job boards active and talking with job contacts, and Friday I spent driving all over Denton, Collin and Dallas counties, ending the day at my parish, where we threw the first of our Friday Lenten fish fries (all we need now is a bingo night) and had stations of the cross. I did find time, though, to write about my layoff and what it means to me. Finally, today I dashed off a post on a new paralogism cropping up in pro-abort circles, "A matter of trust", in which I argue that, even ruling out moral considerations (as if we could), some actions are such bad ideas that we take them off the table of legitimate options; "there are actions and powers with which no one should be trusted. Ever."

That's my production for the week. Now go to RAnn's place and get some good reads!